Wednesday, September 4, 2013

eARC BOOK REVIEW...Tattered Love (Needle's Kiss #1) by Lola Stark



Expected publication: September 12th 2013 by Lola Stark

When ex-Special Ops bad-ass Mace walks into Needle's Kiss tattoo parlour, he never expected to find the girl who would turn his life upside down.

Hard as nails Scarlett has been unlucky in love: she’s been burnt, chewed up and spat out. Reluctant to have another relationship, can she keep her wits about her when hot-as-sin Mace walks into her tattoo parlor? Or will he break her down and leave his mark within her ink?

What starts out as a little fun, turns into something so much more.

Can Scarlett look beyond Mace's devastating past or will his demons come back to haunt them both?

Content warning: contains steamy, anywhere-goes sex, an alcohol induced embarrassing night out and two headstrong lovers taken on a whirlwind of crazy.

--[If you're a music junkie like me, then check out this playlist made by the author while you read "Tattered Love": Tattered Love Music Playlist--]

“You need to know I always get what I want, Scarlett.  And I want my c*ck wrapped in your sweet pussy. I want to pound you hard until you can't move a muscle. I want to taste you on my tongue.” --Omg. I swear I just orgamsed!

The Story:   




Scarlett "Scar" Garcia wasn't looking for love.  Owner of her own tattoo shop, Scar is feisty, independent, and highly insecure when it comes to taking the plunge in new relationships.  When a mysterious stranger waltzes into her business, Scar begins to feel her walls crumbling down and herself opening up to something more than just a tumble in the sheets.

Mace Torres didn't expect his world to be turned upside down when he stepped foot in  the tattoo parlor where his brother worked.  Fresh off from retirement, all it took was one look at the fiery tattooed brunette and he was gone.

With a sizzling chemistry and pasts filled with hurt and devastation how will things turn out for them?  Will Scar give in to love?  What will she make of Mace's devastating past?  And will Mace's tattered, haunted heart ever be healed?


Thoughts Overview:

"Tattered Love" exuded heart and scorching hotness.

In a way, I couldn't help but notice (or at least think) that perhaps Ms. Stark was writing from personal experience in correlation to one of Mace's biggest demons.  It's both heartbreaking and heart wrenching and made me want to cry.  Those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, check out the dedication page before you read the story and you'll know what I mean.


My Review/Analysis:
The plot--
I particularly liked this story because the story line and pacing are good, as well as the characters are interesting.

The story line focuses on two individuals who have experienced their share of hurt and pain and are now coming together for a second chance at life and love.

The characters--
Scarlett:
What I liked:  I admired Scar's fierceness, her no take sh*t from no one persona, and her tenacity to remain self-reliant even after meeting Mace.  Normally, the female characters that I come across are weak, troubled, are waiting for a miracle to save them which is the complete opposite of Scar.  She doesn't need a Knight in Shining Armor to save her.  She just needs someone to show her her self worth.


What I didn't like:  The one qualm I have with Scar is that I don't get her dilemma on love and trust.  Yeah, you were spurned and unlucky but so have many other girls!  It's hardly a big deal.  My sister experienced the same exact thing but she's learned from it and doesn't use that as an excuse.  Scar should take notes from her! lol ;)

And now Mace:
What I liked:  Mace is everything I ever wanted in a male.  He's pierced, tattooed, and ALPHA MALE.


His character kind of reminded me of James Bowen from Elle Aycart's More than Meets the Ink since both are alike in appearance (minus Mace's nipple piercing), personality, and bear a horrible loss.

What I didn't like:  Two of my biggest peeves when it came to Mace were that he tended to wallow in his self-pity and would often take matters into his own hands without consulting Scar.  I could never begin to fathom what he'd gone through BUT... at the end of the day, life goes on whether he wants it to or not.  None of what happened then and now is his fault and he needs to accept that.  He can't keep living in the past.  Instead, he should just be grateful that he's still alive and make use of what time he has with his loved ones.

Mace please do yourself a favor and make yourself happy for once.  AND, stop trying to be the self-sacrificing one by trying to "protect" Scar from what's beyond your control.

After all, you admitted it yourself: Scar makes you whole and makes the pain go away.  She calms your mind and soothes your broken heart and soul.  Cherish her.  Love her.

"Scarlett triggered something in me that I hadn’t felt for a long time. She seemed to calm the storm in my mind; my anxiety and hurt dimmed when she was around."

"Being with Scar had healed me. She took what I was and made it better. What we had in this moment, it was more. This was my love, her love—torn, damaged, broken, ripped apart and put back together. This was our tattered love."

So, My Verdict:

Lovely, lovely read.  I highly recommend!!  It's not often that I come across books where both of the characters are strong, hard-headed individuals that are deeply tainted and vulnerable individually but stronger together.  I'm so used to seeing one of the characters being "broken" and the other one having to bend over backwards to mend the other so this turnaround was quite refreshing.

I'm now curious as to where Ms. Stark is going to go with the next book in the series, Conflicted Love, which is Trip and Teeny's story.  She left hints of their budding romance in this one but left us hanging at the end with the cliffhanger.  What a way to keep your readers' attention transfixed for the next one!!

Can I put in a little request though?  Can book three be possibly on Jude?  Maybe Jude and one of Mace/Trip's sisters??  I already love him!  He need some romance in his life!!  Pretty please?! ;)

Until then, I'll leave you with this song that reminds me of this story. Well, particularly from Mace's POV and no, it is not on the author's music playlist. Later friends!

Storm by Lifehouse
How long have I been in this storm?
So overwhelmed by the ocean's shapeless form
Water's getting harder to tread
With these waves crashing over my head

If I could just see you
Everything would be all right
If I'd see you
This darkness would turn to light

And I will walk on water
And you will catch me if I fall
And I will get lost into your eyes
I know everything will be alright
I know everything is alright

I know you didn't bring me out here to drown
So why am I ten feet under and upside down
Barely surviving has become my purpose
Because I'm so used to living underneath the surface

If I could just see you
Everything would be all right
If I'd see you
This darkness would turn to light

And I will walk on water
And you will catch me if I fall
And I will get lost into your eyes
And I know everything will be alright

And I will walk on water
And you will catch me if I fall
And I will get lost into your eyes
I know everything will be alright
I know everything is alright

Everything's alright
Yeah, everything's alright



My Rating:

-Overall : 9
-Plot : 8.5
-Writing : 9
-Characters : 8.5
-Cover : 9



Where to get your copy!
(Links will be posted when available)

No comments:

Post a Comment