Thursday, September 12, 2013

BOOK REVIEW...Consumed by Skyla Madi


Title:  Consumed
Author: Syla Madi
Publication Date: September 16th 2013
Ebook/Book Copy Source:  Self Purchased

Plot:  Olivia James has never been one to walk on the wild side, at least not until she meets Seth Marc—a cocky, sexy fighter at her father’s gym. He’s infuriating, nauseatingly addictive and she just can’t seem to shake him. He’s only been in town a short while and his name is already on everyone’s lips. He's the kind of guy moms’ warn their daughters about—the kind that leaves a trail of shattered hearts behind him and he has Olivia in his sights.

Olivia has never met anyone as confusing as Seth and his hot and cold attitude constantly sends her reeling. She’s never wanted anyone’s touch so badly in her life, but having recently come out of a long term relationship diving into another is something she'd prefer to avoid.

Determined for his touch, but not to let him under her skin, Olivia embarks on the most thrilling ride of her life.


“What are you thinking?” She asks me, searching my eyes. If I press harder against her, she’ll be able to feel me and put two and two together. Instead, I smile. “It isn’t very PG, I’ll tell you that.” - Lol!! So naughty Seth!! ;)

The good:  Solid, intriguing, and engaging read!  The story line is intriguing, the characters are likable, and there was just enough "smutt" to keep me sated. ;)

The bad:  Had some typical elements that we come across in reads:  good girl meets bad boy;  bad boy thinks he's not good enough for whatever reason; some pushing and pulling going on between them; characters give in to their attraction; some drama occurs; they live happily ever after.

MY THOUGHTS/REVIEW:

Overview:

"Consumed" was a lovely, lovely read to pass the time.  I swear, whenever I had free time I would grab my e-reader in between my babysitting gig and would sneak away to read me some more of Seth Marc!! I was that obsessed with finishing this! lol.

I also appreciated the fact that "Consumed" wasn't all about sex and had kept this part of Seth and Olivia's relationship steamy yet tasteful.  Sometimes in these kinds of reads that's all I come across and it's annoying and redundant at times. Makes me skim or skip over a lot of the sex/love scenes which thankfully never happened in this book!!!!


The Characters:

I liked how Olivia, "O" or "Oli", was so easy to relate with.  She, to me, was like the most of us in how she reacted or took things.  Plus too, she actually had backbone!! Wohoo!! How refreshing!!

"I saved his number into my phone, but I’m yet to glance at it. I don’t really want to hear what he’s got to say. I’m not in the mood for his ‘I care, but I don’t care’ with the ‘I want you, but I can’t let myself have you’ kind of speeches."

My only qualm though with her is that she has to be the worst employee ever! So unprofessional! She's lucky Mason (her boss) was really sweet on her or else the amount of days she took off from work or got interrupted during work hours would have cost Olivia her job real fast with a normal employer!



As for Seth, well, he was sort of typical in the personality I will admit.  Confident,  ruggedly handsome, and a cocky attitude to boot, Seth is a MMA fighter that definitely has his pick of women.

The thing that won me over with Seth was that although he felt he wasn't good enough to be with someone so untainted like Olivia, I loved that he had many admirable qualities to rule out the bad. Seth was...:

-very straight up and could admit his faults/short-comings
 "I’m a mess. I’m stubborn, selfish, spoiled and a little too proud. I act like I don’t give a f*ck—and most of the time I don’t, but there’s a small portion of me that cares too much and for some reason...you fall into that portion. Don’t ask me why because I have no idea and it has been driving me f*cking insane.”
-always tried to be a better man for Olivia
“I’m trying change, O. I want to be there for you like you are for me even though I close you out.”
- had heart. <3
* “It’ll be yours. You can control everything that happens to it. I know you love that place...” “You’d do that for me?”Seth steps forward, planting a kiss on my forehead. “I’d do anything for you.
* “I’d fly to the moon and back to comfort you when you need it.”

- AND, NOT TO MENTION the fact that he was an ALPHA MALE!! *Squee!!*  He was so possessive and overprotective of Olivia.

“We might not be using the titles, but I still claim you as mine.”“Yours?” Normally, I hate when people refer to other people as a possession, but when Seth says it there’s something extremely sexy and alluring about it.“Damn straight.” He grips my hips, pulling me into him. “You are mine and I’ll make sure every single person in the club knows it.”

SO, MY VERDICT:

HIGHLY RECOMMEND "Consumed" for those of you looking for a hot, MMA fighter,  with a heart of gold!

"Consumed" will literally consume your life for a couple of hours.  It was that addictive for me.  I'm not saying that it's completely mind-blowing and life changing but a couple parts where it was really touching when Olivia's dad made her re-focus her priorities of what's important in life as well as when Seth realized how important Olivia was to him.  So touching and made me awe.

 "When you think back on your childhood or your life last week even, you don’t remember the hours you slaved at work or doing things you hate. You remember going outside. You remember being with your friends and loving life. I want to look back on my life and not regret it. If Seth becomes a distant memory I want to be able to honestly say I had the time of my life."- Olivia after speaking with her father
“After today—and especially what you said in the car—I realized there are too many things in this world that can drive us apart. Right now, we don’t owe each other anything. If we want to go separate ways, we don’t even have to supply the other with an explanation and I don’t like that. I want to owe you things. I want to owe you explanations..."- Seth

I'm really hoping that Ms. Madi will write more books and make this into a series.  Perhaps, make book two about Jackson and Selena, book two on Chase (Olivia's brother whom I have already developed a mini crush on!), and book three on Seth's mysterious sister and her rock star boyfriend??

*crosses fingers* please make it happen if possible!! 

Anyways,  I'll conclude my review here with a random thought. How cute but true was it when Olivia's brother, Chase, points this out about Seth because it suits how much Seth is enamored with Olivia as well as fits into the book's title:

“He seems like a good guy. I mean, sometimes he looks at you like he wants to consume you, but you are beautiful so I’m not going to hold that against him.”




-Buahahahaha!! I just had to add this in!!  It was so hilarious!!




My Rating:

-Overall : 9
-Plot : 8.5
-Writing : 8.5
-Characters : 8.5
-Cover : 8



Where to get your copy!
Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment