☆✮ My Review ✮☆
☆I was given an ARC by the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!!☆
Torrent was an unexpected and a mind-boggling read!! Gemma without doubt managed to turn my psyche upside down and make me want to root for the underdog in the story! That’s for sure!
But, there is something I need to bring up and I’m so sorry to mentioning this but after re-reading the synopsis it kind of just came up and stuck.
So, was it just me or did the concept of Torrent kind of remind you of Tanya Holme’s Within Temptation a bit? I mean, the main girl sends an innocent man to jail and then years later he comes back and is not happy with her. But the difference is, is that in Torrent, said convicted gets revenge on the person who sent him to jail and is hell-bent on taking years away from her life and treating her just the way he was treated.
Then secrets, betrayals, and revelations are unraveled and one man’s quest for retribution is now not what it seems. Could the person who took eight years away from his life in fact be an innocent like him? One thing’s for sure, it’s going to be a bumpy ride for these two and much bigger fish to fry!!
# I highly recommend for those readers who like dark erotic reads and who like a little twist in their shake. It definitely had me hanging at the end with a cliffhanger like that!! Aaah!! I need more!!
-Overall : 8.5
-Plot : 8
-Writing : 8
-Characters : 8
-Cover : 8.5
☆✮ Condemned Series Playlist ✮☆
☆✮ 10 Random Facts About TORRENT ✮☆
1. I began writing Torrent last summer. Back then it was a barebones beginning about a young, reckless girl and her dead brother's best friend who couldn't fight his darkness any longer. The island has been in the story all along.
2. I really have Skye Warren to thank for how Torrent turned out. Last year around Christmas time, she called for submissions for a short story anthology about criminals. Well, I had an idea…and that idea was too good to confine to a short story. I decided to combine my earlier efforts with the premise of a girl sending a man to prison for a crime he didn't commit, and him coming back for what he felt he deserved.
3. Once I had the island in mind (small, privately own, with a single cabin on it), I turned to Google to find out if I could find any real islands of a similar nature to use as a reference. There just happens to be one about three hours from where I live, situated on the Oregon side of the Columbia River. It even has a cabin on it. I've driven there twice and have seen it from the highway. I call it "my island." The setting in the novel, though based on real places, is purely fictional, with the exception of the Columbia River and Portland, Oregon.
4. I rewrote the beginning about three, maybe four times.
5. Zach and Alex were originally full-blooded siblings. I gave into censoring myself out of fear of being banned from retailers, even though I had no intention at first of writing sexual scenes between the two. Once I changed their relation to step-siblings, the brief taboo scene in the beginning formed, and in my opinion, strengthened the setup of the novel. It also opened wicked avenues for book two. ;)
6. I didn't immediately know why Alex sent Rafe to prison. She was a stubborn character who kept me in the dark for a while!
7. Torrent is the first book in which I wrote from the hero's POV. It was interesting getting inside Rafe's head.
8. One of the twists about Rafe's past (something he learns after he's out of prison) basically wrote itself into the story part way through. Same with Jax, Rafe's buddy. These characters and subplots just popped in of their own accord!
9. If you're looking for an easy read with hearts, flowers, and mainstream topics—this isn't the book for you. This story will make you squirm, possibly make you sick at times, and push you into the darkest corners of your mind. But I'm a romantic at heart and believe in happy endings. Getting there is hell though.
10. I do not feel guilty about the cliffhanger ending. Have you watched any TV season finales lately? AHHHHHHHH! I understand the frustration, and I'm evil enough to rub my hands together in glee. Don't lynch me. I'm working on the second book. :D
☆✮ About the Author ✮☆
She lives with her husband and their four children—three rambunctious UFC/wrestling-loving boys and one girl who steals everyone’s attention.
Like her on Facebook or sign up for her newsletter so you don't miss out on future releases!
Titles written as Gemma James:
ULTIMATUM (The Devil's Kiss #1)
ENSLAVED (The Devil's Kiss #2)
RETRIBUTION (The Devil's Kiss #3)
THE DEVIL'S KISS TRILOGY (The Devil's Kiss #1-3)
THE DEVIL'S SALVATION: FINAL EPILOGUE (The Devil's Kiss #4)
THE DEVIL'S KISS: COMPLETE SERIES
TORRENT (Condemned #1 - available for pre-order on select retailers!)
Titles written as Christina Jean Michaels:
EPIPHANY (Legacy of Payne #1)
AWAKENING (Legacy of Payne #2 – coming late 2014)
UNHINGED (Legacy of Payne #3 – release date undetermined)
☆✮ Giveaway! ✮☆