Thursday, July 4, 2013

BOOK REVIEW...First Position by Lane Prescott

Emory faces life’s challenges at the one place that’s never failed her, the ballet barre. But even the barre can’t steady her when fate brings her face-to-face with her old college flame, Mason, who’s hoping to return to the NFL after a career-threatening injury. Before they can surrender to their sexual desires and find salvation in each other’s arms, they need to come to terms with their past. Mason must confront the demons that have set him on a path of self-destruction, while Emory must decide whether to keep her painful secrets locked away, or expose them and risk losing the love of her life. But nothing can prepare Mason for what Emory has kept hidden, or the possibility that he himself may be to blame for the very secrets she keeps – and why they continue to haunt her.
Published April 14th 2013 (first published April 1st 2013)
“So you’re telling me you’re naked and wet?” 
   “It seems I’m always wet with you.”   
   “Is that so, baby?”  Mason smiled broadly. 
“I was talking about the rainwater and the barbecue sauce.”

Buahahahaha. You were PAWNED Mason!! So evil Emory! :D

......

A couple of days ago, I received a request from Lane Prescott to review "First Position" for an honest review.  Of course I couldn't turn her down after reading the synopsis of the book and boy am I glad I did!

"First Position" was an enjoyable tale of love, forgiveness, and second chances.

Albeit, there was some pacing issues (since the middle was very slow and draggy), a couple of typos, some unnecessary character POV's, and and a couple of annoying characters BUT OTHER THAN THAT it was fine.

I thought that Mason and Emory had a very sweet and fairy tale romance that most of us wish they had.  They were college sweethearts who were torn between their love and their dreams colliding and make a hasty decision (well Mason does anyway) that changed their lives forever.

Fast forward, six years, Mason is now a fallen football star trying to get back on his feet and Emory is now a former ballet dancer.  They run into each other at a bar and let's say the sparks are still there and the rest is history!

Only problem is, *spoiler* is that Mason is in fact married!! Omigah!!

I HATED Mason's wife, Alexis!! What a gold digging social climer!! She was such a b*tch!! Grr.  I don't get why she agreed to marry Mason aside from the obvious when she clearly knew that he was not in love with her.  What kind of respectable woman does that?  I say this because at one point in the book she b*tches to Mason about how he didn't love her and only thought about Emory even when they were having sex and yadda yadda yadda.  Oh please, cry me a river!  All I have to say is, is that you're a stupid dumb bimbo and what did you expect?!

And Mason, what's your problem man?!  How could you have claimed to truly love Emory but not even try to compromise with her so you break things off and suffer in the next few years in a loveless marriage?! I don't understand!  Your reasons for it are so ridiculous that I wanted to slap you.  You did, however, redeem yourself (THANK GOD!!) throughout the book and were amazing to Emory so in the end you're forgiven.

P.S: You're mom is a trip!!  At first I was quite annoyed with her but after she set Alexis in her place I was grinning so wide. You go Mama Bear! :D

As for Emory, well I LOVED HER to pieces!!!  I could feel all of her actions, thoughts, words, and feelings come through the book.  She was a genuine gem.  Emory's one of those rare characters who you can put yourself in her shoes and understand why she says or does the things she does and why she was so reserved in getting back into a relationship with Mason.  My heart literally broke for her when she confesses to Mason near the ending about a secret she held from him.  It was so sad my heart broke for her.

I was so glad by the ending that everything works out.  Although I'll admit it was kind of a rushed conclusion, I still liked how things panned out.

On an end note, I'd like to extend much love and gratitude for Ms. Prescott for reaching out to me and allowing me to read her lovely read.  It was nice to officially meet you and I look forward to your future works. ;)

......

“That was embarrassing,” she said, walking into the kitchen. 
   “I was really enjoying myself, too,” he said.  “I liked the mirrors.” 
   Emory blushed, getting a vase for the bouquet.  “Me too.”   
   “Do you think he looked at my butt?”

Lol Mason!!



My Rating:

-Overall : 8.5
-Plot : 8
-Writing : 8
-Characters : 8
-Cover : 7.5


No comments:

Post a Comment